John specialises in the largest and most complex cases before the UK courts. He is a lawyer of formidable repute and represents both individuals and corporate bodies.
Legal 500 describes John as a formidable lawyer with an international reputation.
With extensive experience, a realistic and honest approach and an understanding of how to go the extra mile to secure the best results possible John has established himself as a significant player in criminal litigation
John’s reputation comes from representing clients in the most serious of criminal cases. An early example was on Operation Tuletta; an extensive operation into computer hacking that was a follow on from the phone hacking scandal in the early 2010’s (see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25427564).
John is committed to quality representation and the team at Carson Kaye are extremely diligent and professional.
John has represented individuals who face prosecution from the Crown Prosecution Service, His Majesty’s Revenue and Customs, the National Crime Agency and the Serious Fraud Office.
Many of John’s clients are charged with complex fraud matters that include Missing Trader Fraud’s, boiler room frauds, complex financial litigation and overseas investments.
The numerous referrals from individuals and other corporate entities shows that John’s approach is well received and admired.
John’s recent work includes the following:
Complex Financial Crime:
- £266 million money laundering case involving high street banks
- Fraudulent sale of holiday investments overseas
- HMRC investigation into the loss to the exchequer of £500 million per year
- Advising individuals in relation to allegations of boiler room frauds in the following fields
- Carbon credits
- Rare earth metals
- Advising a company following an HMRC investigation into the avoidance of excise duty
- Advising a client charged with the importation of 2000kg of cocaine. The seizure is described as the biggest in UK history
- Advising clients in the IPT challenging the authenticity of the NCA’s use of EncroChat evidence (https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/all-about/encrochat)
- Advising clients on conspiracy to murder charges stemming from Operation Venetic
- Advising clients on multi handed murder trials
- Large conspiracies involving class A and B drugs in Courts nationwide
- Advising numerous companies on their rights and obligations under the Procceds of Crime Act
- Challenging cash seizures
- Advising clients on their options when assets are frozen.